Peer advocates must apply to participate in our training program (involving 4-5 hours of work per week over 10 weeks) and successfully complete this program the semester immediately before they serve as peer advocates. We can accept only a limited number of students to our training program, and we can only provide training if we are back on campus fall semester 2020. Minimum qualifications for acceptance to train are listed below.
If we're back on campus at the start of the fall 2020 semester, applications for the training program will open on the first day of the semester. Any students interested in becoming a new peer advocate for Spring 2021 must successfully complete training during the Fall 2020 semester. The due date for Fall 2020 training applications, including submission of an unofficial transcript and reference information to Dr. Katz via email, will be Th, Sept 10 by noon. No late or incomplete applications can be considered. Please apply ASAP; if a large number of applications are submitted early, we will need to close the application link early in order to process submissions in a timely way. Applicants will be contacted soon after the deadline for interviews.
Becoming a Trainee: Minimum Qualifications
- At least one semester of completed full time enrollment at SUNY Geneseo (No exceptions can be made; we need people who are familiar with our campus)
- An overall GPA at SUNY Geneseo of 3.0 or higher (we need people who have successfully managed to balance academic and other responsibilities; if you are close to a 3.0, depending on the number of applicants, you may be considered).
- Available to attend ongoing group supervision meetings on Friday afternoons from 4 to 5pm. (No exceptions can be made; supervision is essential to skill development)
- Committed to keeping Friday afternoons from 2:30 to 5:00 pm as available meeting times during the following semester.
- Available to complete readings, write reflections, and attend ~4 hours of training sessions per week for ten weeks the semester prior to serving as a Peer Advocate. (If accepted to the training program, you will be assigned to one of several weekly evening training groups on M-R, depending on your availability)
- Successful completion of the online application including reference and transcript information (see below)
- Available to serve as a Peer Advocate the following semester (without skipping a semester to study abroad, etc.)
Becoming a Peer Advocate: Minimum Qualifications
- A demonstrated commitment to the 10 week training process (i.e., on time to all supervision and training sessions, no absences, active involvement, quality contributions to sessions)
- Feeling prepared
- Sufficient time to dedicate to serving as an Advocate and a training group leader (minimum of 6 hrs per week plus being on call) the semester immediately after the training
- Positive evaluations by current peer Advocates regarding trainees’ helping skills (assessed via simulated on-call performance)
- Positive evaluations by the instructor (who has final say)
Instructions for Applying Online to the Pathways Training Program
Step 12020欧洲杯在线直播: Complete all questions on the online application:
Step 2: Submit an unofficial transcript *and* your reference information via email to email@example.com欧洲杯在线直播. Instructions for creating a pdf file of your transcript are below. In addition to attaching your transcript, the body of the email should list the names, titles, email, and phone numbers of two people who are willing to be contacted to answer a few questions about you. References are not required to write letters. At least one reference must be a current faculty or staff member at Geneseo (As the current Pathways coordinator, Dr. Katz cannot serve as a reference for applicants). Your application can not be considered unless both Steps 1 and 2 are fully completed
- In a separate window, go to Knightweb and login.
- Click the "Student" tab
- Click the "Student Records" tab
- Click "Academic Transcript" and select "All Levels" as the Transcript Level and "Web Transcript" as the Transcript Type
- Then press "Submit" to view your transcript
- Go to File and select "Print"
- Within the printing option, typically towards the top, find the "PDF Creator" icon or option and click
- Under the "Document Title" name the file YOURLASTNAMEtra.pdf and click "Save"
- Save it to your desktop
- Now that you have your transcript saved as a PDF file on your desktop, attach it to an email to submit along with your reference information
2020欧洲杯在线直播Students who successfully complete the training program and who are formally accepted as Advocates for the following semester will be enrolled for three credits of PSYC 294 by permission of the instructor. Registration contracts are completed at the end of the pre-semester retreat.