How to hire bookkeepers
2020欧洲杯在线直播Looking to reduce the administrative overhead of tracking cash flow within your business? A freelance bookkeeper can help you get organized and balance the books.
2020欧洲杯在线直播So how do you find a freelance bookkeeper? What follows are some tips on finding top bookkeepers on Upwork.
What does a bookkeeper do?
Bookkeepers help you manage your accounts payable and receivable. They create financial reports, process payroll, and maintain a general ledger of income, assets, and expenses.
2020欧洲杯在线直播Here’s a quick overview of the skills you should look for in bookkeeping freelancers:
- Bookkeeping software such as QuickBooks
- Data entry
- Report writing
- Basic accounting
Bookkeeping consultants handle many of the accounting-related administrative tasks that go into running a business.
How to shortlist bookkeeping freelancers
As you’re browsing available bookkeeping consultants, it can be helpful to develop a shortlist of the freelancers you may want to interview. You can screen profiles on criteria such as:
- Industry fit. You want a bookkeeper who understands the tax nuances of bookkeeping for your industry.
- Software. Do you use FreshBooks, Billy, QuickBooks or other accounting software? You want a bookkeeper who can slide right into your existing workflow.
- Feedback. Check reviews from past clients for glowing testimonials or red flags that can tell you what it’s like to work with a particular bookkeeper.
Why do you want to hire bookkeepers?
The trick to finding top bookkeepers is to identify your needs. Will they be entering data into an existing ledger, or is this your first time setting up a bookkeeping system? Will your bookkeeper also be responsible for your monthly tax filings? The cost of your bookkeeping project will depend largely on your scope of work, and the specific skills needed to bring your project to life.
How to write an effective bookkeeping job post
With a clear picture of your ideal bookkeeper in mind, it’s time to write that job post. Aim to provide enough detail for a freelancer to know if they’re the right fit for the project.
An effective bookkeeping job post should include:
- Scope of work: From balancing the books to processing payroll, list all the deliverables you’ll need.
- Project length: Your job post should indicate whether this is a smaller or larger project.
- Background: Translate your bookkeeping needs into a freelancer profile. If you require industry-specific tax experience, mention this here.
- Budget: Set a budget and note your preference for hourly rates vs. fixed-price contracts.
Ready to get your books in order? Log in and post your bookkeeping job on Upwork today.